Mike Munger, former Libertarian Party candidate for NC governor, recommends some steps to get past this economic morass.
I’ll summarize, but you should really go and check out the article.
- Single Payer Healthcare, to divorce healthcare from employment compensation.
- Cuts to the military, while reducing mission.
- Cut the deficit with tax increases and spending cuts
- Pay for Social Security by removing the tax cap, and means-testing the rest.
- Reduce business uncertainty by slowing down the pace of regulation.
- Cut corporate tax rate to 20%, but remove all loopholes to ensure it is actually paid.
Pretty interesting, and in my opinion we’re going to be forced to do a lot of these things eventually, but we’re going to wait long enough for it to be much more messy and painful than it had to be.